Thursday, April 7, 2011

ITYWLTMT On The Road and Podcast #2 – Musical Alphabet, Part 2

[Aberdeen, MD] ITYWLTMT is coming to you from the Marriott Courtyard in Aberdeen (Maryland,). I am on business travel this week, supporting the Canadian Army on some experiments they are conducting with the US Army at the Aberdeen Proving Ground.


Ripken Stadium (left) and Marriott hotel (building at centre)

Aberdeen is about 30 minutes North East of Baltimore, and is home to Aberdeen IronBirds, the Single-A affiliate of the Baltimore Orioles. The team is owned by Hall of Famer Cal Ripken Jr -an Aberdeen native – and plays out of Ripken Stadium, literally across the parking lot from my hotel (as shown on the above picture).  Minor league ball hasn’t started yet, but we do see lots of Little League kids hovering around the facility.

Blogging-wise, I have been using my free time to build up some material. I also have Googled the blog a few times, and most of the keywords don’t pick-up the blog yet. So far, no hits (other than mine) that I can see, no followers, no comments and no downloads of our first musical alphabet collage.

Oh well…

I have to come up with ways to “promote” the site! Because I have not created a web feed for it, I can’t publish it on Podcast directories. Maybe I need to do that, but what about Copyright rules I am (surely) violating. I’d rather get some traction by word of mouth…

I will try and get something done about this next week.

Enough banter - let’s get on to the music!

(UPDATE 2011-07-02 - Commentaire français: http://itywltmt.blogspot.com/2011/07/un-abecedaire-musical.html)

Continuing our musical alphabet, we will explore the letters N to Z.


This montage is no longer be available on Pod-O-Matic. It can be heard or downloaded from the Internet Archive at the following address / Ce montage n'est plus disponible en baladodiffusion Pod-O-Matic. Il peut être téléchargé ou entendu au site Internet Archive à l'adresse suivante:

http://www.archive.org/details/MusicalAlphabetPart2


Detailed Playlist: http://www.docstoc.com/docs/80055836/pcast002-Playlist

Podcast play list (details enclosed in the posted archive):
N.  Nocturne-Andante from Borodin’s second string quartet
O.  “O Souverain, juge, père” from “Le Cid”
P.   Perdido
Q.  Copland’s Quiet City
R.  Overture to Wagner’s Rienzi
S.   Nielsen’s Saga Dream
T.   The Typewriter
U.  Mahler’s lieder Urlicht
V.  "Vissi d’arte", from Tosca
W. Bach’s Wachet Auf
X.  Largo for Organ from “Xerxes”
Y.  Yesterday, by the Beatles
Z.   Berlioz’s Zaide

I have included three transcriptions in the list: an orchestration of a Borodin string quartet movement, and two adaptations of orchestral pieces for wind band. The band featured is the Eastman Wind Ensemble, conducted in the 50’s by Frederick Fennell, and in later years by Donald Hunsbeger.

A few opera excerpts: French (Le Cid) and Italian (Tosca). Zaïde by Berlioz and Urlicht by Mahler are settings of songs with orchestra. The Typewriter is a cute ditty from Leroy Anderson, so is Perdido, a jazz standard performed here by Duke Ellington. I chose the Beatle’s Yesterday for the letter Y – I thought it appropriate, as this is indeed a “classic”

I think you will love this music too…

Next week, I am planning to blog  the first of two posts on Holy Week and Easter.
Let me know what you think either by commenting on the blog or by e-mail.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stumbled upon this montage. Great voice in "O Souverain", really enjoyed it despite the fact that I am not an opera fan. The typewriter is really funny! Abrupt change of mood with Marie-Claire Alain, impeccable as always with beautiful registration.

    Didn't get anything else done tonight, you're to blame!

    ReplyDelete