Tuesday, June 23, 2020

London


This montage from our Podcast Vault revisits a post from July 27, 2012. It can be found in our archives at https://archive.org/details/London_837



 =====================================================================

Before I get started today, I wanted to acknowledge a couple of missteps in managing our podcasting channel – a couple of times in the past week I posted some material and failed to pick the right date for the automatic publisher to activate the selections. As a result, my Wednesday and Friday posts were on line a few days ahead of schedule – which explains why I chose to “expedite” this week’s foray into the Podcast Vault. This is completely an error in my part but, since nobody seemed to be bothered by that programming snafu, it’s a reminder for me to be more focused and disciplined when I line up my publishing…


While I am mindful of avoiding “dated” programming, from time to time there are montages that don’t quite age well. It’s not to say that the program for this week is completely anachronous, I am obliged to remind listeners that this 2012 montage was published around the time of the London Summer Olympics, which explains how Vangelis found his way here. Overall, however, the podcast does keep to the overall theme of music written for or inspired by London and England.
The main work on the podcast is a nice performance by Sir Colin Davis of the last of Haydn’s London Symphonies (his no. 104) that completes our Project 366 survey of the complete set of 12. The nickname for that symphony aptly is “London”. Works by Bach, Elgar, Otto Nicolai and Gershwin feed this overall theme.

As our bonus track, another London-nicknamed symphony, this one by Ralph Vaughan Williams



I think you will (still) love this music too.

No comments:

Post a Comment