Friday, April 14, 2017

Anonymous

No. 245 of the ongoing ITYWLTMT series of audio montages can be found in our archives at https://archive.org/details/pcast245



=====================================================================


For this year’s Good Friday montage, I selected some early music for which it is difficult to attribute the authorship.

Anonymous works are works of art or literature, that have an anonymous, undisclosed, or unknown creator or author. In the case of very old works, the author's name may simply be lost over the course of history and time. In such cases the author is often referred to as Anonymus, the Latin form of "anonymous". In other cases, the creator's name is intentionally kept secret. The author's reasons may vary from fear of persecution to protection of his or her reputation. For the most part, works attributed to Anonymus pre-date the Baroque era, and can be thought of as being passed down following “oral” tradition.

This is the case for the collection of titles that make up today’s montage. As I have provided many - shall I say - austere montages in past years appropriate for the Lenten season, I avoided gloomy works in this collection, though a few are spiritual or religious in nature.

Not all titles are “Anonymous” – in my defense, when I started assembling this playlist, all the titles were of unknown authorship. Over time, I managed to unmask the composer but – with your indulgence – kept them in the montage, as they are of similar tradition to the others.


I think you will love this music too.

No comments:

Post a Comment