Friday, May 1, 2020

Sousa & Suppé


This montage from our Podcast Vault revisits a post from September 6, 2013. It can be found in our archives at https://archive.org/details/Pcast121



 =====================================================================


When I think of May Day, I think of parades.
When I think of parades, I think of marching bands.
When I think pf Marching Bands, I think of John Philip Sousa.


This is the connection that gets us to today's visit into the Podcast Vault, and retrieve this montage featuring wind bands playing Sousa, and as a fitting co-conspirator, Franz von Suppe.

Many of these works are touchstones of the "pop concert" repertoire, and don't need much introduction.

As our bonus feature, I should remind that I relied on a couple of disks in particulra when I pit this montage together a few years ago. One was an all-Suppe disk featuring Paul Paray and the Detroit Symphony that we featured earlier this year on a Tuesday Vinyl's Revenge post. The other is an old CD by the Eastman Wind Ensemble and their then music director, Donald Hunsberger. Here them is the entire disk, from a YouTube playlist.



I think you will (still) love yhos music too!

No comments:

Post a Comment