Friday, August 20, 2021

Sviatoslav Richter & Beethoven

  

This montage from our Podcast Vault revisits a post from March 22, 2019. It can be found in our archives at 
https://archive.org/details/pcast306


 =====================================================================

Last week, we began revisiting our survey of piano sonatas from 2019, whoch featured sonatas by Scarlatti, Mozart and of course Beethoven. At the time, we not only "filled in the holes" on the entire corpus, but also revisited some of the piano concertos.

In a programming snafu, I realized some of the montages I'd planned for this week, notably our Salieri anniversary post, were skipped in favour of some of these montages, something I plan to remedy next week...

A week or so ago I featured one of the two Stallworth pianists of the Soviet era, Emil Gilels. Today, it's Sviatoslav Richter's turn in the spotlight.  I believe Richter recorded or performed in recital all 32 of Beethoven's sonatas (I may be wrong on that...), with pressings from his homeland and live or studio recordings for Western labels. I believe the three onatas featured today are from live recitals, with the filler Andante Favori taken from a studio session in London.

Our bonus YouTube feature is another live recording, this one from28 November 1963, at the Leipzig Gewandhaus of the three final sonatas with some Brahms at the end.



I think you will (still) love this music too.


No comments:

Post a Comment